What is the K-2 visa process?

I’m looking to bring my child to the United States under a K-2 visa. Can someone explain the K-2 visa process and what steps I need to take?


The K-2 visa allows the unmarried children (under 21) of K-1 fiancé(e) visa holders to enter the United States. Here’s a detailed overview of the K-2 visa process:

  1. Eligibility Requirements:
    • The child must be unmarried and under the age of 21.
    • The parent must be applying for or have already been granted a K-1 visa (fiancé(e) visa).
  2. Filing the Petition:
    • The U.S. citizen petitioner must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), and include the names of the children who will be applying for K-2 visas.
  3. Consular Processing:
    • Once the I-129F petition is approved by USCIS, it is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) and then to the U.S. embassy or consulate where the K-1 and K-2 visa interviews will take place.
    • The child will need to complete Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
  4. Medical Examination and Vaccinations:
    • The child must undergo a medical examination by an authorized physician and receive any required vaccinations.
  5. Preparing for the Interview:
    • Gather all necessary documents, including the approved I-129F petition, DS-160 confirmation page, passport, birth certificate, medical examination results, and any additional documents requested by the consulate.
    • Pay the required visa application fee.
  6. Visa Interview:
    • The child (and possibly the parent) will attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. The consular officer will ask questions to verify the relationship and eligibility for the visa.
  7. Approval and Entry to the U.S.:
    • If the K-2 visa is approved, the child will receive their visa in their passport. They can then travel to the United States.
    • Upon arrival in the U.S., the K-2 visa holder will need to be admitted by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at a port of entry.
  8. Adjustment of Status:
    • After the K-1 parent and U.S. citizen fiancé(e) marry, the K-2 visa holder will need to apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder). This involves filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, along with the required supporting documents and fees.

For a comprehensive guide on the K-2 visa process and detailed instructions on each step, check out this article: K-2 Visa Process.

Navigating the K-2 visa process can be complex, but understanding each step can help ensure a smooth journey for you and your child. Click the link to learn more and ensure you have all the information you need to successfully bring your child to the United States.