How do you navigate the adjustment of status through marriage in the United States?

I’m looking to adjust my status through marriage to a U.S. citizen. Can someone explain the process and what I should expect?


Adjusting your status through marriage to a U.S. citizen is a significant and detailed process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate it:

  1. Marriage to a U.S. Citizen: Ensure that your marriage is legally recognized and genuine. You’ll need to provide proof of a bona fide marriage, such as joint bank accounts, lease agreements, and photos together.
  2. Form I-130: The first step is for your U.S. citizen spouse to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to establish the marital relationship. This form helps to get the ball rolling with USCIS.
  3. Form I-485: Concurrently, or after I-130 approval, you will file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This is the main form for adjusting your status.
  4. Supporting Documents: You’ll need to submit several supporting documents, including birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of lawful entry into the U.S., and any previous immigration records.
  5. Medical Examination: A medical examination by a USCIS-approved doctor is required. You’ll submit Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.
  6. Biometrics Appointment: USCIS will schedule a biometrics appointment where they will take your fingerprints, photo, and signature for background checks.
  7. Interview: An interview with both you and your spouse is typically required. During the interview, the USCIS officer will ask questions to verify the authenticity of your marriage and review your application.
  8. Approval and Green Card: If everything goes well, USCIS will approve your application and you will receive your Green Card, granting you permanent resident status.
  9. Conditional Green Card: If you have been married for less than two years when your Green Card is approved, you will receive a conditional Green Card, valid for two years. You will need to file Form I-751 to remove conditions within the 90-day period before it expires.

For a more detailed guide on each step, including tips and common pitfalls to avoid, check out this comprehensive resource: Navigating the Adjustment of Status Through Marriage in the United States.

Don’t leave your future to chance. Click the link to get expert guidance and ensure your adjustment of status process goes smoothly. Start your journey to permanent residency now!