How can someone adjust their status through family-based immigration without inspection?


Adjusting status through family-based immigration without inspection—commonly referred to as “adjustment of status”—can be challenging but is possible under certain circumstances. Generally, this process applies to individuals who entered the United States without being inspected by an immigration officer (without legal entry). Here’s how it can be done:

  1. Eligibility for Adjustment of Status:
    • The applicant must have an immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Immediate relatives include spouses, parents, and unmarried children under 21.
  2. 245(i) Provision:
    • One way to adjust status without inspection is through Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. To qualify under this provision:
      • The applicant must have been the beneficiary of a qualifying immigrant petition or labor certification filed on or before April 30, 2001.
      • They must pay a penalty fee of $1,000 in addition to the usual application fees.
  3. Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver:
    • For those not eligible under 245(i), another option is to apply for a provisional unlawful presence waiver (Form I-601A). This waiver forgives the period of unlawful presence in the U.S. and allows the individual to leave the country for their consular interview without triggering a long-term ban on reentry.
  4. Consular Processing:
    • The applicant must leave the U.S. to attend an immigrant visa interview at a U.S. consulate in their home country. If the waiver is approved, they can reenter the U.S. legally with an immigrant visa.
  5. Extreme Hardship Requirement:
    • The waiver application must demonstrate that the applicant’s U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent would suffer extreme hardship if the waiver is not granted. This requires substantial evidence and thorough documentation.
  6. Legal Assistance:
    • Navigating this process can be complex and risky. It is highly recommended to seek assistance from an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the requirements, help prepare your application, and represent you in case of any complications.

For more detailed information and guidance on adjusting status through family-based immigration without inspection, visit this comprehensive resource: Family-Based Immigration: Adjusting Status Without Inspection.

Understanding your options and ensuring proper legal support can significantly improve the chances of a successful outcome in your immigration journey.